Friday, May 7, 2010




So. What to tell you today. I always have new piece to show, and a photo of the booth at the Riverbank art fair in Iowa City.


The show was moved inside, April 25-26, the University of Iowa Union grand ballroom...Thank you Fine Arts Council! It was raining, cold, and very much appreciated to be inside. The students running it do a great job. Unfortunately, the sales could have been better for everyone. I still did OK, but not as great as years past. One problem showed up, my husband, Steve, forgot to bring the ladder supports for the shelves. He was very resourceful and buttered up the janitor, and got a table. Then he scrounged up a curtain (!) to use as a tablecloth! Thankfully, when I arrived from the room, this was all taken care of...I've been known to get a bit "upset".
We are now in Davenport, having setup the first outdoor booth of the year, in the Figge Art Museum plaza for the spring Beaux Arts Fair. We have a great spot, rained a bit at set up, but it looks good, but COLD, for the weekend.

The photo of the bronze bird pendant shows the PPP technique I learned in Tucson at the workshop with Patrik Kusek. I love it! I have found I need to darken the lines with an extra-fine felt tip marker to get the deeper textures.
The silver hollow form is a piece I've had for a few years, and could not come up with a finished design. The jet beads were picked up from Thomason Stone Supply in Tucson, so this is it's current form. The applied piece on top is a thorn from the very thorny trees found in the timber, with a few extra attachments
Next weekend starts the Downtown Bloomington Farmers Market, where I will have a booth for the 8th year. I'll be setting up on the corner of Center street, facing the courthouse. Not my old spot, but close. Again the artists are being segregated from the farmers. Apparently, the farmers don't want us. It has always seemed to me to benefit everyone to be intermingled with a mixture of quality booths. I know most customers agree. I've had great years there, fun and profitable.
Later,


Martha


No comments:

Post a Comment